Handling of event sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling of event sessions

How does C&P write event registrations with sessions to Salesforce. For example, the person registers for the event and then chooses different sessions to attend. Is the best practice to have one opportunity with opportunity products?

Hi @DWhitig,

This introduces a lot of potential questions about how the Event app works, since every organization uses Salesforce so differently.

By 'event session', are you referring to a 'ticket level'? Like these?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-06-12_FRM DWHITIG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	47047

Think of our Events app as functioning primarily in its own objects that are installed with the Event App.

Your event management is managed inside the event app only, and then when someone registers:
    1. They are added as a Registrant or Attendee in the Event app (click on Registrations in your Event's menu)
    2. The transaction data for registering is sent to your C&P Account to process the credit card transaction (you can review the transaction's progress in Connect)
    3. a copy of 'just the transaction data' is sent back to Salesforce, and received by the C&P Payment as a Service app (aka Donor Management)
    4. PaaS creates a C&P Data record, which is mainly just a raw form of the transaction data, and tries to match to an existing Salesforce Contact- this can happen immediately, or after the Temporary Contact is processed. What
    5. Once a Contact ID is assigned to the C&P Data record, PaaS writes the Transaction and Opportunity into Salesforce's native objects (Contact, Opportunity) according to the settings in PaaS > C&P Settings.
    SO - how you review 'Sessions' for your organization depends on what you need to do - the simplest way is just to get into the Event Management app and manage it there, but some Salesforce customers like to organize their information using the Salesforce Campaigns- so you can compare your events with other types of Campaigns. In which case, best practice is to assign SKUs to your different ticket levels (this tags the transaction when someone registers), and then create a rule in C&P Settings to assign the Opportunity to the Campaign you want to use.

From that perspective, you have to come up with your own way to manage your event, and train your users- it's why a lot of nonprofits hire a Partner to help them get set up.

I suggest staying away from trying to use Opportunity Products, that involves a lot deeper understanding of how Salesforce records retail information in its native objects.

Make sense?
    Last edited by CnP.LiveSupport.AB; 06-12-2019, 08:40 AM.
    Regards,
    Click & Pledge Support Department

On Salesforce? Help us by rating our app: Click & Pledge Donor Management on AppExchange

Join us @ the educational webinars: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
    Live Support available Join between 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
    Are you on Salesforce? Join us at the Power of Us Hub: https://powerofus.force.com/0F980000000CjpC

Comment

They pay a fee for either one day or two day then they can choose a couple of sessions for either day. These do not have a fee associated with them. They would like to be able to report from within Salesforce how many people are registered for each of the sessions. Does that help explain?

Comment

DWhitig

Create 2 Custom Questions to allow the Registrants to choose their sessions.
        And in Reports, use the C&P Event Attendees + Custom Questions Report to view the responses:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-13_FRM DWHITIG.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	47066
        Regards,

On Salesforce? Help us by rating our app: Click & Pledge Donor Management on AppExchange

Live Support available Join between 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
        Are you on Salesforce? Join us at the Power of Us Hub: https://powerofus.force.com/0F980000000CjpC

Comment

I attended Amanda's daily help session and she told me to post here as to what I am looking to do and that she will follow up with me. We are moving from NeonCRM to Salesforce with Click and Pledge for events. I want to convert into Salesforce the legacy event information (2010 to 2018). In the Legacy event, a person could choose to register themselves and/or others. They can choose to pay for one-day or two-days (there are different pricing if choose one day vs two days). Once they select one or two days they can choose what sessions they want to attend for each day. There is no additional fee for the sessions. My legacy data has a record for the payment and then registration records for each attendee which has in separate fields which sessions they chose to attend (approximately 12 fields worth of sessions per event).

I know that when the event is setup next year in Click and Pledge, that the registration will land in Salesforce as an Opportunity tied to the Event Campaign for the amount they paid for either one or two days. I also understand that if setup, the attendees will end up as campaign member records. I need to understand where the session information will be written. I'm assuming it will be setup in Click and Pledge as custom questions. Where is the best place for the custom question answers to live inside Salesforce?

Comment

Hi Donna,

We discussed briefly where the custom questions and answers are stored, but given that the Events app is so flexible in how an event can be structured, there's not a simple way to import legacy data and have it appear exactly as it would for the past events as it will for future ones.

The better option is to clarify what's important to keep. So if your goal is to record which Salesforce Contacts attended the events in prior years, this could easily be done by importing your legacy data into Salesforce Campaigns, and then structure your C&P Events moving forward to record data in a similar way. Then it becomes easy to compare the overall performances of future events with past ones.

And if you want to have all of the legacy data created in Event Management so that going forward the nonprofit can use past events as a model? You can 'batch create' legacy Events with Events Import, without their registrant and attendee information.

But if you also want the registrant and attendance data for those events, and still be able to review that data inside our app, you'd need to 're-sell' those events through the Box Office- which could be a daunting amount of work.

So if you can give me a better idea of what you hope to achieve, I can give you a better idea about what approaches you could take, and what their pros and cons would be.

~ Amanda
            C&P Live Support

Regards,

Comment

I'm not sure how better to explain. Can you tell me if I was to setup a new event in Click and Pledge that had sessions (think a conference with one fee for the event then choices for different sessions you can attend). How would you set that up in Click and Pledge? Do you have an example that I can look at or point me to a video? I've looked at a bunch of the videos and help documents and it's still not clear to me they all seem to be about an event where you have different options of which you choose one.

Also, I see there is an object in Salesforce called C&P Event Registered Attendee. If I create custom questions to be answered for each attendee can I map them to this table?
              Thanks!
              Last edited by DWhitig; 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

DWhitig ,

Thank you for sending the video clip of the format you are attempting to create- that is very helpful in understanding what you're doing.

Here's the issue with importing legacy data: Because our Events app has so many features, the data structure involves a lot of relationships to accommodate the automations involved. Importing the data to the right locations would mean making sure all the data was suitable for the field values and re-establishing all the relationships. By way of explaining, here is a look at our Event App objects in Salesforce Schema Builder:

​​

As a consultant, I'm sure you can appreciate that picking this data structure apart, and making sure all the legacy data is imported into the correct object would be daunting, on the scale of doing a Salesforce implementation on its own.

As a general rule, when organizations convert from other Salesforce apps to ours, the competing product often makes use of the native Salesforce object, Campaigns, to track attendance and income generated by the Event. Since attendance and the income-generated are the most common reasons NPOs review past event data, I usually recommend that customers build their new C&P events in such a way that the Registrant Contacts, Attendee Contacts, and Opportunities are assigned to the right Campaigns.

You would need to do a lot of research in our Knowledge Base to mimic all the functionality of what you displayed in your video, but I'll start with your original question about conference 'Sessions'.

APPROACH 1 - collect Session Scheduling with Custom Questions:
                As discussed above, the simplest approach would be to create ticket levels for your different prices needed, and set up Custom Questions for your Session Scheduling, which would be something like this:
                And here's the plain-jane registration page for the demo event I put together for you as an example: https://cnpdemo-developer-edition.na...K000001RENkQAO

I've spelled out the Conference Schedule in the Event Description field.

In this event, I assumed that the person Registering would also be the person attending, so my session scheduling questions are listed on the Registrant.

But if you foresee organizations registering multiple employees to attend your event, you'd want to consider doing a Named Event. In C&P Events, the Registrant is the person who buys the tickets, and Attendees are the people that USE the ticket- so if a Registrant buys a ticket for themseves, and also for 2 additional people- they will need to fill out Attendee information on one of the tickets for themselves, and then again when they go to pay for the ticket (although there is an option to copy that information from the Attendees entered).

In this example, I created a custom question for each timeslot, and then listed the sessions available for that timeslot. You can see how that looks by playing with the Registrations on that demo event page.

But your video suggested a login approach, and we do not have a 'login to manage your event' option now- a way to login and edit event registration details after the tickets have been purchased, but before the event occurs. Your registrants would need to make all of their scheduling decisions when they bought their tickets.

So what might work better in your case:

APPROACH 2 - Create one Event to sell the tickets, and a separate 'free' Event to schedule the sessions

This approach would use one event to sell the tickets (and thus the money brought in from the event), and a separate one to manage Attendance.
                You would send the link to the 'scheduling event' in the Registration Email sent to the Attendee of the 'ticket purchase' event- so the ticket is purchased first.

This works well because you can manage who is attending what session in Event Management itself, without needing to set up a login. You would need to work out the logistics of how to ensure that people had a verified purchase when they 'register' for sessions, but there's a few ways of approaching that - we could discuss in Live Support. But managing who is expected in which session becomes easier.

The new issue is that you'd be setting up each ticket level as a 'session', and there's no way to prevent someone from signing up for sessions that occur at the same time.
                A hybrid version of doing it this way - the ticket levels represent the time slots, and the session is chosen by the custom question for the time slot....

All this brings us back to: How to import the legacy data? to which I ask 'Well, how do you want to use the legacy data?'. If you're using it to see how much income the conference brought in with ticket sales - import into Salesforce Campaigns. If you're wanting to see who attended what sessions in previous years - maybe import into a hierarchy of Campaigns

But if you really want to pull that data in so that your users can see what it looks like when 're-rendered' as a fully populated event in C&P Events? You'd really need to build out the full event, and go through the process of selling the tickets in the Box Office.

Or you'd need to pick apart the object schema and figure out what information is stored where. I'd advise against that - Reviewing your legacy events in our app would likely break it. A direct data import would open up too many potential points of failure when the app tried to access the legacy data.
                I hope that explains the challenge of answering your question- where would you like to go from here?

Regards, Amanda
                Live Support
                Last edited by CnP.LiveSupport.AB; 06-19-2019, 03:29 PM.
                Regards,

Comment

Thanks Amanda,

For some reason, I can't see the images you included.

In the example, you noted where you created a custom question for each timeslot, and then listed the sessions available for that timeslot and the attendee is different from the registrant where would you suggest mapping the custom question to in Salesforce? Since the registration is the opportunity but that is not the attendee, it doesn't seem like it would go there.

Comment

OK, Donna,

We have a pre-configured report in Salesforce for the Attendee Custom Questions. Because the labels on the report don't match the actual data objects, I'll need to track down the API names for those. I believe there is a junction object involved as well.

If you're just wanting to review the data in a standard Salesforce Report (without trying to access them using Salesforce Event Management), in such a way that once you get C&P Events going, you can compare answers in the same report, that may be reasonable.

You may be able to import the data directly into the requisite objects, and then compare the future data with your prior data in the same report, but I'm going to check with the Developers to see if there's any way to do so without impacting the Event App.

~ Amanda
                    Regards,

Comment

Hi Amanda,

I appreciate you spending all this time trying to answer my question. You always give great support! I think you are trying to address more than I am asking. I'm not worried about the C&P reports. I simply want to know what Object to put the question responses into in Salesforce. Maybe a quick call would help to clarify. I have legacy answers to the questions and I want to put them in Salesforce and wanted to know which "requisite object" I should put them in. At this point I'm thinking I'll just create an opportunity for each attendee (there are multiple attendee records per registration) and I'll put the questions as custom fields on the opportunity. I was trying to understand if that was directionally correct or if C&P had a special place they recommended putting the custom questions in Salesforce.

Comment

A big part of giving support is clarifying the question. I can be a little roundabout in explaining, but it also means I eventually find the approach that works for the user I'm helping.

So, could you provide a list of the legacy fields and their data types that you would like to be able to match in C&P Apps to do your report?

Then I can come up with a correlation recommendation in our apps- as long as we're both clear in how you would be structuring your C&P Events. You would need to decide if you need to replicate the 'optional' aspect, and how that would look in a C&P Event- in your video, the scheduling seemed to be each class and whether the attendee planned on joining that one or skipping it.

So until we know what your new events will look like, we won't know where to put the legacy data.

Regards,

Comment

DWhitig

Per our discussions, I cloned my 'anonymous event' and rebuilt it as a Named Event. I've created screenshots with flyouts- so you can see how I modified different aspects to get what we've discussed.

And if you'd like to see the 'Structure' of the experience for the user: https://cnpdemo-developer-edition.na...K000002OuLMQA0

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-21_FRM DWHITIG Conference Example.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	47178

Important to Note:
                          • The Event's Basic Information > Mode is "Named" and I've reduced the Attendee's Form Fields to be First Name, Last Name, and Email only
                            • This way the Registrant doesn't have to fill out address info for the Attendee as well, but we've got our best chance for matching our Attendees automatically without resulting in Temporary Contacts.
                          • The Custom Questions for Scheduling are also under Event > Form Fields. I set the question as optional, with Undecided populating the Answer as 'blank;
                            • If Attendees need to change their selected session, they may do so after Registration, but before the event, your organization can set up a deadline for session changes, and because we collected the Attendees email, we can send notification messages to let them know how much time they have to lockdown their choice.

If this format fits your needs, you've got an example to follow, and I can run some test transactions to nail down where that Custom Question data lands, so you can plan a report.

~ Amanda

Regards,

Comment

Seems reasonable. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X