Announcement

Collapse

Information Needed

See more
See less

Extra Opportunity for Additional Fee, Single Future Date Gifts, and C&P Autoresponder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Opportunity for Additional Fee, Single Future Date Gifts, and C&P Autoresponder

I have a few questions about a couple different topics that I’m including in this post. I can also make two or more separate topics if that is a better way to do it. I'm not sure if you prefer to get all the questions at once or split up into more defined topics.

First, I found this thread about the second opportunity that is created for the Additional Fee charge (https://forums.clickandpledge.com/fo...tion-is-active). We also would like to be able to have one opportunity with the gift amount and additional fee amount. I am comfortable using flow and process builder to automate something, so my idea was to basically merge the two opportunities into the first one (add the additional fee amount to the first opportunity) and then delete the second additional fee opportunity. My question is if this will cause problems with the C&P transaction object or make it give the error that not all the data has been posted from Connect.

Second, we are exploring adding payment scheduling to our forms and it seems like a future date one-time gift is treated as a recurring gift with a pre-authorization charge and one installment. Is this the case? Is there a way to have it be treated as just one C&P transaction? I can understand if you need a parent object to connect the pre-authorization transaction and the final amount transaction, but having it listed as a recurring is confusing and will cause problems with rollups and some of our language in our receipts (sent from autoresponder). Is there an easy way to differentiate between recurring that are actually one-time future date transactions and actual recurring gifts?

Finally, I had some questions about the C&P autoresponder settings. The setting for Future Date transaction doesn’t seem to send even when it’s a future date transaction. Instead the setting for recurring (all recurring, all installments, not future date) sends for single future date gifts, recurring future date gifts and recurring same date gifts. But if I set that setting to be all recurring, first installment it doesn’t send for future date single gifts. Also, is there a way to send for all recurring installments except pre-authorizations? I added a condition for payment amount > 0, so I think that might take care of it, but I wasn’t sure.

Thanks for your help!

Regarding creating an automation to combine the opportunity and additional fee into a single Opportunity
    The primary tie between the transaction and the Opportunity is the Order Number Lookup field. I suggest reviewing all the Opportunity fields that install with the PaaS app, and think about what happens if you merge those values. For example - each "opportunity" created by C&P has a SKU, and SKUs are your primary way to customize how your Opportunity fields are created. If your Additional Fee Opportunity and your Donation Opportunity are merged - how can you break out your fee totals separately, which C&P SKU value do you keep? If you use C&P Events, you might also want to review any of the fields from Event that map to the Opportunity.

But, WHY are you wanting to do this?

From a data structure perspective, it only makes sense to have a data object that stores information specific to the transaction, and a "sub-object" that stores information specific to line items within the transaction. With C&P PaaS - the transaction information is on the C&P Transaction record, and the line item information is on the Opportunity record. This is extra convenient if a nonprofit needs to run a report to code a transaction for Quickbooks, and part of the transaction is a donation that should get one code, and the other part of the transaction is an event ticket- those portions of the same transaction need different codes.

Because Salesforce lets you structure the data the way you want, making decisions like these is based on what-you-need-to-see and where-you need-to-see-it.
    NPSP added sub-objects called Payments and GAUs - which "shifts the hierarchy" - the Opportunity becomes the data object that represents the transaction, sub-objects of the Opportunity store the line-item information.

But fundamentally, they're just data objects connected to each other through a lookup field. It doesn't matter if the Opportunity represents the transaction or if it represents the line item - as long as there is another object that represents the counterpart.

So why do you want to include the additional fee in the Opportunity?
    • If you need to create a Report from Opportunities that can show amount of each transaction, and the number of transactions - you can create a report on C&P Transactions instead.
    • If you don't like Opportunity line items messing up your NPSP "Number of Gifts" rollups, you can modify the rollup fields to exclude the Opportunities that are additional fees
    • If you only use C&P to bring online donations into Salesforce, and you trained your staff to record donations received onsite by recording a check as a single Opportunity
    As a result, you will have more problems creating reports that can include both transaction with line item data easily, and you will constantly be creating workarounds to adjust for the disparity. You'll have duplicate records because if you set up this automation, then you will have both a C&P transaction record and an Opportunity record storing the same data - and this opens up potential "dirty data" where the C&P transaction record becomes different from the "duplicate" Opportunity record, and you can't figure out why the numbers don't match up. It also counts double against your data storage limits.

C&P is a great tool to bring your transaction information into Salesforce, and can save massive amounts of staff time in having to record transactions. You have to weigh that against any benefits you get out of "shifting the hierarchy" so that the Opportunity becomes your primary way to represent a transaction. But don't get locked into thinking that the Opportunity HAS to represent the transaction.

Make sense?

~ Amanda Byrne
    C&P Live Support
    Last edited by CnP.LiveSupport.AB; 10-09-2020, 08:29 AM.
    Regards,
    Click & Pledge Support Department

On Salesforce? Help us by rating our app: Click & Pledge Donor Management on AppExchange

Join us @ the educational webinars: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
    Live Support available Join between 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
    Are you on Salesforce? Join us at the Power of Us Hub: https://powerofus.force.com/0F980000000CjpC

Comment

Yes, I do see that in theory it doesn’t matter which data object is the transaction or the line item. But, we have other considerations that play a role in this.

Regarding your question why we want to do this, it has to do with your third bullet point. We have a lot of offline donations (checks, etc.) that will be processed and inserted into Opportunities (using NPSP’s Gift Entry and other custom automations on the opportunity). In our case, having the C&P transaction data reflected in Opportunities will actually make it easier for both reporting and rollups. Instead of having to have two reports (one on Opportunities that aren’t created by C&P and one for C&P transactions - or even a joined report with both objects), we can just have one report on opportunities. For allocated funds to different programs, we have a custom object (Allocation) linked to the Payments on the Opportunities. We’ll be using reports on that Allocation object to know which amounts are directed where and it would be too complicated to have some of them connected to payments (as the line item) and some to opportunities (as the line item).

I see that there could potentially be dirty data, but I think the potential for dirty data by having two types of things stored in Opportunities (transaction data from offline gifts and line items from C&P) is quite a bit higher and will cause more confusion among our staff.

And as far as our data storage limits, it seems like this would actually be less. The C&P transaction is already creating Opportunities, so that’s not an increase in storage usage. In fact, if we delete one opportunity (by adding the fee to the first opportunity) it’s a net lowering of data storage.

I guess the actual trade-off is getting slightly less data (about what amount was an additional fee) to get a less complicated structure for reporting/rollups. In our particular use-case, we don’t need to know how much of a donation was an additional fee or not (because it is directed to the same place), so we don’t feel that trade-off is really an issue. Regarding SKUs, we would want them to have the same SKUs anyway, so just going with the SKU of the opportunity of the largest amount should work fine.

I did a quick test and it doesn’t look like deleting the opportunity causes a problem on the C&P objects on the Salesforce side. It doesn’t show an issue in Connect and if we need to we can always look there to see what part of the donation was processing fees.

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the various things to take into account before adding an automation of this sort.

For my other questions, maybe it would be better to create another topic or two? I’m not sure if you/the forum prefer different topics or one big post, so let me know and I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Comment

My apologies for not addressing the other questions ( as a side note - typically I would recommend keeping different topics in separate posts)

Regarding:
        Finally, I had some questions about the C&P autoresponder settings. The setting for Future Date transaction doesn’t seem to send even when it’s a future date transaction. Instead the setting for recurring (all recurring, all installments, not future date) sends for single future date gifts, recurring future date gifts and recurring same date gifts. But if I set that setting to be all recurring, first installment it doesn’t send for future date single gifts. Also, is there a way to send for all recurring installments except pre-authorizations? I added a condition for payment amount > 0, so I think that might take care of it, but I wasn’t sure.

Future Date transactions are treated by the application as a recurring transaction with a single installment. The Future Date transaction has two related transactions - one for the pre-authorization with the bank for "$0.00" (Installment #0) and a second that represents the actual payment. The Autoresponder trigger condition for Recurring Donations is "yes" or "no", in other words, the same autoresponder cannot be used for both. one-time and recurring. If you need the same email to go out for one-time and for recurring, you have to duplicate another responder with the same conditions, and change the recurring setting.

If you need to set up an Autoresponder for scheduled transactions, you will also need to check the option for "recurring" for the autoresponder to fire.

Payment scheduling was a feature that was added to CONNECT in March this year, so it's pretty new. I'll review the Autoresponder documentation, as it is possible that the different approach for the Autoresponder may have been overlooked.

To exclude pre-authorizations, try setting a condition that the payment amount be greater than $0.00
        Regards,

On Salesforce? Help us by rating our app: Click & Pledge Donor Management on AppExchange

Live Support available Join between 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
        Are you on Salesforce? Join us at the Power of Us Hub: https://powerofus.force.com/0F980000000CjpC

Comment

That’s not a problem - I appreciate you taking the time to respond! I’ll keep that in mind to separate out topics in the future.

Thanks for the clarification about single future date transactions and the autoresponder. We do have separate autoresponders for one-time and recurring gifts, but I think the problem with the one I tried for future date was that I didn’t also check the recurring box, but that makes sense now.

I’ll try the payment amount greater than 0 to filter out pre-authorizations.

It’s unfortunate that single future date gifts are in the same object as recurring gifts (i.e. not have a different parent object like C&P Future Date instead of C&P Recurring). But, hopefully that is on the agenda to change sometime in the future (since this is such a new feature).

I see a field on the C&P Recurring Record that is “Installment Period.” It looks like future date single transactions will have the value “None” there (though that picklist value is inactive) and no recurring gifts would have the value "None". Is that a good field to use to filter these gifts out of recurring rollups and things? Or is there another field that would be good to reference? It seems like just going off of count of transactions to filter out would be wrong for some recurring at the beginning (for their first charge it will look the same as a future date single gift).

Comment

My apologies for not addressing the other questions ( as a side note - typically I would recommend keeping different topics in separate posts)

Regarding:

Future Date transactions are treated by the application as a recurring transaction with a single installment. The Future Date transaction has two related transactions - one for the pre-authorization with the bank for "$0.00" (Installment #0) and a second that represents the actual payment. The Autoresponder trigger condition for Recurring Donations is "yes" or "no", in other words, the same autoresponder cannot be used for both. one-time and recurring. If you need the same email to go out for one-time and for recurring, you have to duplicate another responder with the same conditions, and change the recurring setting.

If you need to set up an Autoresponder for scheduled transactions, you will also need to check the option for "recurring" for the autoresponder to fire.

Payment scheduling was a feature that was added to CONNECT in March this year, so it's pretty new. I'll review the Autoresponder documentation, as it is possible that the different approach for the Autoresponder may have been overlooked.

To exclude pre-authorizations, try setting a condition that the payment amount be greater than $0.00
            Regards,

Comment

Hmm... It looks like this is the same response as above. But, I'll just start a new topic with my one remaining question so we can start on a clean slate. Thanks!

Comment

(Link to other post)
                Regards,

Comment

Working...
                X