$1,000 limit on payments with ProPay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1,000 limit on payments with ProPay?

Previously, on TSYS/TransFirst, we did not have any issue receiving payments or donations over $1,000. We have recently heard of donors being rejected for donations over that level when entering their details on our donation forms. We've double-checked the campaigns and no maximum is defined, donors should be able to contribute at whatever level they define. Is there a limit on payments with ProPay?

This has only been a reported issue on eCheck payments, not on credit/debit card payments.

Comment

This is not a ProPay limit. It is a restriction we recently instituted to protect your organization from the many recent fraudulent attempts to run large amounts using echeck. Echeck is particularly vulnerable because all echecks are initially'authorized'. There is no way to verify the funds are available quickly.

You may either suggest that the patron contact you directly, so that you can enter the echeck transaction from Virtual Terminal, or you can suggest they use a debit card with that account that is backed by VISA or Mastercard. Those debit cards can be authorized based on the amount in the account the same way a credit card is authorized.
      Regards,
      Click & Pledge Support Department

On Salesforce? Help us by rating our app: Click & Pledge Donor Management on AppExchange

Join us @ the educational webinars: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
      Live Support available Join between 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
      Are you on Salesforce? Join us at the Power of Us Hub: https://powerofus.force.com/0F980000000CjpC

Comment

OK, thanks for the update.

This doesn't particularly work well for us. When we receive eCheck contributions, they are usually precisely because they are large amounts from institutional donors that exceed either their own internal controls for capacities of debit cards, or that they do not have debit cards on their corporate accounts in the first place, or that they do not have -- as one example of an intended donor -- a $25,000 limit on a corporate credit card. I'm not going to instruct these donors to get debit cards on their corporate accounts simply to work around your arbitrary system. That is irrational.

The entire reason that we were using C&P with online contribution pages was to relieve our office staff from having to process these contributions directly. So this actually took away a critical business operational need for us.

If we had received this communication in advance that you were instituting this limit, we would have been able to make other accommodations. Instead, right now I have multiple institutional donors who have been told to go and make these payments through the C&P online contribution page who are running into issues that you have created for us, which reflects exceptionally poorly on my organization and its operations for no fault of our own.

I suspect that no, this is not first and foremost a matter of protecting us. It is because the fee for eCheck is lesser than the interchange fee for processing payments through the Visa/MC system and this is a matter of revenue for C&P or ProPay.

Comment

drossjones

It is amazing that one may consider that there is another motive. Of course we cannot change your mind as the "Corporate" world is evil.. I guess that is what is being suggested.

There is work being done to make this an option for organizations to limit. Last month we had one organization that was charged over $35,000 in fees which we had to intervene and work with the gateway to waive. They had over 1000 eChecks posted to their site with $25 - $10,000. As there is no way to check fraud for eCheck we were forced to make a decision - protect the organizations to avoid these attacks or limit it to $1000 and then work on customizing it. The customization is not yet complete but since the attacks were moving rapidly we had to change our forms.

If you wait by November 15 when the new update will go live you may simply increase your limit to $1M - we truly do not care.. as long as you are aware of the risk.

We can gladly email you the stream of attack echecks so you can review. I have asked our support department to send us your email and we will email you the Excel file for your review. If you can think of a better solution please let us know. Please note that gateways authorize the checks regardless of the account number as there is no central database that verifies the account numbers. As of now we have no idea why would attackers submit random checks to a nonprofit as there is nothing to be gained by it but.. they do.
          Regards,
          Click & Pledge Support Department

On Salesforce? Help us by rating our app: Click & Pledge Donor Management on AppExchange

Join us @ the educational webinars: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
          Live Support available Join between 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday: https://clickandpledge.com/webinars/
          Are you on Salesforce? Join us at the Power of Us Hub: https://powerofus.force.com/0F980000000CjpC

Comment

I apologize for my glib remark about fees. That you responded with sarcasm in-kind is disappointing. As your customer, I am entitled to my frustration without condescension in return.

Thank you for telling me a timeline -- November 15 -- when this could be resolved. I am able to work with my leadership team on our own next steps.

This entire exchange could have been avoided if there was communication with your customers about this issue, especially since you took away a feature that was already being relied upon by us.

While I appreciate your attention to fraud prevention, interruptions to business operations when a previous option is taken away, and without communication of that, is exceptionally frustrating under any pretense.

Comment

Working...
            X